What Voids A Tesla Warranty?

You may be in breach of your Teslas warranty if you do not follow the advisory on recalls, you overdrive, you do not install the vehicle’s updates correctly, or you do not perform repairs. Taking your car to an unauthorized repair facility could lead to shoddy repairs, which, in turn, would cause additional damage to your car, which is not covered by Tesla’s warranty. To avoid having your warranty voided, ensure the repairs are done at a Tesla dealership, or at a dealership authorized by Tesla. Your warranty could be affected if the damage is caused when you have the car repaired in a non-Tesla station.

The warranty is only affected if Tesla notifies you that your car needs maintenance, and you ignore the notification, which causes additional damage to your car. If you decide to bring your car into a non-Tesla dealership for service or repairs, coverage from your warranty may be affected should there be a problem. Tesla offers free repairs and replacements when notified of a problem within the normal service window.

Tesla may repair or service vehicles and body parts with defects that occur as the result of normal use only. The Tesla Warranty covers the repair and replacement costs associated with manufacturing defects in parts Tesla makes or supplies as a part of a car. There is only one Tesla extended warranty program, which covers most vehicle parts, except for the car’s battery and drivetrain.

CPO Teslas are also sold with the remaining balance of the vehicle’s original Battery and drive unit warranties. Tesla’s battery and drive unit limited warranty on the falcon-winged Model X, the company’s signature car, covers battery and drivetrain systems for eight years and 150,000 miles, depending on which the car hits first. Their New Car Limited Warranty Model S covers the battery pack and components for up to 150,000 miles or 8 years, whichever is reached first, with a minimum of 70% capacity remaining (or a maximum 30% capacity loss from the day of delivery or when the vehicle is placed in service). Tesla models between four and six years old with 50,000 and 100,000 miles on the odometer are covered by their Used Vehicle Limited Warranty for two years/unrestricted miles from the delivery date.

Every new Tesla comes with the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which is essentially a bumper-to-bumper warranty covering repairs or replacements needed to fix defects in material or workmanship in any parts manufactured by Tesla or provided by Tesla, that happen during normal Tesla usage. Like all automakers, Tesla must adhere to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which prevents it from nullifying a new vehicle warranty for your Tesla Model 3. Lasting for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, the Tesla Base Vehicle Limited Warranty covers repairs or replacements for defects in materials or workmanship in parts supplied by Tesla. Repairs or replacements for Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla, at an in-store location, online, or purchased and installed at Tesla Service or at a Tesla collision center can be covered by the Tesla Parts, Body, and Paint Repair Limited Warranty.

Greene subsequently found a related section in the Exclusions & Limitations section in the owner’s manual, clearly saying that using the Tesla as a stationary source of electricity would invalidate its warranty.

Leave a Comment